Increased efficiency and falling prices make solar photovoltaic power a serious consideration.
In the past 15 years, the use of solar photovoltaic energy has surged by about 20% per year. Why? Better efficiency and lower prices.
Solar photovoltaic systems consist of an array of solar panels, an inverter, a battery, a charge controller, and wire and support structure. Once installed, photovoltaic systems require very little maintenance and provide efficient, clean energy for years to come.
Is solar photovoltaic energy a feasible option for you? Consider these physical and geographic requirements:
- Roof orientation – Ideally, a solar photovoltaic system should point toward true south to take full advantage of the sun’s energy. An eastern or western exposure could work, but with less efficiency.
- Angle of solar photovoltaic panels and roof – Solar photovoltaic panels need to be inclined properly to absorb maximum energy year-round. The best angle is one that is as close to the area’s latitude as possible.
- Obstructions – The path of sunlight to the solar photovoltaic panels must be free from obstruction. No matter the time of day or year, if a single solar cell is shaded, it can significantly reduce energy production.
- Geographic location – The size of your solar photovoltaic system is partly dependent on the weather in your area. Meteorological data for your geographic location can provide average monthly sunlight levels, amount of rainfall, number of cloudy/sunny days, altitude, humidity levels, and other relevant factors. The size and design of your photovoltaic system is based on the worst month of the year to ensure sufficient energy year-round.
According to physicist Steven Chu, Director of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the earth absorbs more energy in one hour than the world uses in one year. So, solar energy is available and just waiting to be harnessed. But, is a photovoltaic system right for you? That depends:
- How high are your utility rates?
- Is energy efficiency and the environment important to you?
- Does your home or business have a good geographic location and roof orientation?
An LBA energy consultant can discuss options and considerations with you. We want you to make an informed decision, so call us today for a consultation. Give an LBA hero a call at (913) 712-0216 today!